Animation Production Assistant
Who we are
International cultural institutions want to reach contemporary audiences in unforgettable and thought-provoking ways. We help them to make that happen.
We create narrative experiences for storytelling environments like museums, galleries, science centres, themed attractions, and travelling exhibitions. We work at a dynamic intersection of subjects, technologies, audiences, stakeholders, partners, and spaces.
In 2019 we’ve worked with 72 culturally focused clients in 8 countries. Our outputs are diverse – interactive conversations with avatars of holocaust survivors; a multiplayer game about the health of the oceans; immersive linear animation and collaborative play to tell Canada’s story at Expo 2020. More than 10 million visitors will interact with our work this year.
We are a group of thinkers, tinkerers, designers, artists, gamers, developers and storytellers who bridge disciplines to build experiences from scratch. We are flexible, curious, and fascinated by the design and storytelling challenges of our time.
Working closely with the animation lead, the animation production assistant (APA) is a core member of the creative team. Working with external sub-contractors and the internal artists, the APA will make sure that the animation pipeline is organized, efficient, and on-track.
What we need: Big Picture
Manage sub-contractors – The APA will manage and co-ordinate sub-contractors. Your role spans the entire process: you will review quotes, brief subs on our creative requirements, provide them with the documentation they need, oversee their progress and ensure a high-quality, on time delivery. The UI lead needs to be a vision setter within the creative team.
Facilitate inhouse creative workflows – run things smoothly – Working with the animation lead and a small team of artists, you will track and organize the production process. You will organize assets, understand schedules, and facilitate connections between concept artists, story boards, 2D and 3D artists. You will oversee the pipeline, making sure that the interface between different phases of the pipeline is smooth and fluid.
Keep an eye on the big picture – You are a careful listener. You will understand and track the animation team’s work across multiple projects. You will understand the deliverables required this week, this month, and this season to make sure that the team meets deadlines. Working with project managers and the animation lead, you will help to allocate and manage workflows within the team. By being organized, you will give the artists the space to create within clear timeframes, supported by the assets they need.
Contribute to our team – You are joining a growing team of creative professionals, committed to a healthy working environment. We tell cultural stories that matter and expect people to help make NGX a place where collaboration, respect, and playfulness are at the core of our work. You will contribute positively to a joyful workplace culture. You take responsibility and recognize when it’s time to ask for help.
- Understand, absorb, and communicate creative concepts
- Review design assets and provide verbal and written feedback to sub-contractors. Does this work give us what we asked for?
- Manage visual assets to support smooth production flows across multiple projects.
- Track and communicate key deliverables and production schedules.
- Co-ordinate with internal and external team members and ensure that the production pipeline flows smoothly through the creative process.
- Locate visual references that support an established design vision.
Pre-requisite experiences and skills
- Self-starter, able to solve problems and find solutions independent of supervisor input.
- Experience managing people – proven ability to give supportive and constructive feedback and meet project deadlines.
- Appetite to shape process for a growing animation team.
- Demonstrated experience managing, coaching, and supporting a small team.
- At least one year working in media production.
- High standards of organization.
- Experience working in a creative setting, with proven ability to participate in design discussions.
- Proven ability to manage multiple workflows with grace and poise.
- Fluency with the Adobe Creative suite.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Team player who can thrive in a collaborative and dynamic creative environment.
- Experience with 3-D assets and animation is helpful.
- Eligibility to work in Canada.
How to Apply:
- Please include your resume
- Please include a cover letter explaining why you want to work for NGX – and why you are a good match for the role. Candidates without a cover letter will not be short listed
- Please apply via the form below or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please include “Animation Production Assistant” in the subject line
Thank you for your expression of interest. While every application is appreciated, please understand we aren’t able to respond to everyone. No phone calls, please.