Mechanical Engineer – Contract Position
We are seeking an electronics engineer on contract basis to provide specialized expertise for a specific project to for design and implementation of a kinetic sculpture for a permanent exhibition.
NGX Interactive creates digital interactive storytelling experiences for museums, discovery centers, exhibitions and other community-based cultural and educational events. This includes the planning, management, design, development and maintenance of custom digital interactive solutions.
We are a growing team of passionate can-do individuals from a diverse range of professional backgrounds and personal interests. We share a real excitement about creating the next “wow” experience for our clients.
The time frame of the work would be from end of January (design) through July (installation delivery of the completed sculpture).
We are expecting the work to require varying degree of time-commitment (part-time to spurts of full-time) through the various stages of the project. The successful candidate would need to be available to attend meetings and periodically work on-site at NGX in Vancouver during design and prototyping phases. Some travel to be on hand for final installation site may be required.
What you’ll be doing.
Detailed design and part specification for complex mechanical and mechatronics system, including
- Custom spring-loaded pullies
- Light-duty motors with absolute position control
- Mounting plates for motors and pulleys
- Noise and thermal analysis of mechanical and mechatronics equipment
- Final product validation, through means of prototyping, FEA, etc.
- Testing, assembly, and installation of final product
Technical planning and design of solutions that may require integration with a variety of engineering domains
Collaborating in R&D, planning, design and development of prototypes and test environments, determining strategies to validate solutions and test assumptions
Collaborating with cross-function team members who may have varying levels of technical literacy, with ability to communicate technical solutions to identified challenges
Recommending hardware for projects, and providing estimations for software development effort
What you bring.
- Education in Mechanical Engineering, Robotics Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering, Engineering Physics or Integrated Engineering with focus on mechanical, or a related technical discipline
- 1-4 years professional experience in Mechanical Engineering design or equivalent
- Solid proficiency with Solidworks, OnShape, or other major CAD tool – 1-3 years professional experience
- Hands-on experience assembling and testing mechanical systems, and with rapid prototyping
How to Apply.
- Applicants should submit their resume
- And a cover letter explaining why they want to work for NGX – and why they are a good match for the role. Candidates without a cover letter will not be short listed.
- Please include the job name in the subject line
- Please apply via the form below or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Every application is appreciated, but please understand we aren’t able to respond to every application we receive. No phone calls, please.