Senior UI Designer
Who we are
International cultural institutions want to reach contemporary audiences in unforgettable and thought-provoking ways. We help them to make that happen.
We create narrative experiences for storytelling environments like museums, galleries, science centres, themed attractions, and travelling exhibitions. We work at a dynamic intersection of subjects, technologies, audiences, stakeholders, partners, and spaces.
In 2019 we’ve worked with 72 culturally focused clients in 8 countries. Our outputs are diverse – interactive conversations with avatars of holocaust survivors; a multiplayer game about the health of the oceans; immersive linear animation and collaborative play to tell Canada’s story at Expo 2020. More than 10 million visitors will interact with our work this year.
We are a group of thinkers, tinkerers, designers, artists, gamers, developers and storytellers who bridge disciplines to build experiences from scratch. We are flexible, curious, and fascinated by the design and storytelling challenges of our time.
Working closely with an interdisciplinary team, including UI and UX leads, the Senior UI Designer will establish and develop a compelling approach to visual design for new exhibits. They will lead other UI designers through production, managing the creative process to deliver on the vision, while also diving into production work.
What we need: Big Picture
Set a design vision – The Senior UI Designer needs to be a vision setter within the creative team. You will be able to develop compelling visual approaches that reinforce a specific narrative approach. You will be able to draw on diverse visual precedents, see multiple options, and identify tailored solutions that succeed in expressing an idea, evoking a feeling or interpreting a piece of information for a specific target audience. Working closely with a story lead, UX designer, animator, tech lead and producer, you will make sure that the visual approach complements, supports, and enriches the overall visitor experience.
Be engaged with content – Our engagement with science, history, culture, and the natural world are central to our practice. To be a good fit with our team, it is vital that you share our curiosity and commitment to storytelling that makes a positive impact on the world. You are thoughtful, socially engaged, committed to work that leaves a legacy.
Communicate and collaborate – You are a careful listener. You develop and articulate compelling design rationales. You can respond flexibly through an iterative design process that involves internal and external stakeholders. You are solution-oriented, with a presence in the room that elevates creative discussion. You communicate clearly and bring ideas to life – you have the fluency to work in real time with pen and paper, and to develop concepts into crisp visual representations using a full range of contemporary digital tools.
Be tuned in – While website and app design experience are useful, you understand design beyond the screen, and will be able to demonstrate holistic engagement with trends in visual and experiential design. You have skills that criss-cross 2-D illustration, 3-D animation, typography, layout, motion graphics….while you are not an expert across all of these fields, you speak the language to explore creative concepts across a wide range of digital media.
Understand the tech – A team of developers bring NGX’s work to life. The Senior UI Designer needs to have a grasp of coding and how programming works. You need to be able to recognize the limits and possibilities of the software behind our experiences, and interface with our tech team to validate design possibilities and to guide creative concepts through production and testing.
Manage Junior designers – You will need to manage sub-contractors and junior designers. You will have to communicate and substantiate your vision and have the skills to manage and support team members. You need to be organized, communicative, proactive, and able to both give and receive productive and growth-oriented feedback. The Senior UI Designer holds other designers accountable and supports their growth as professionals.
Evolve Process – The Senior UI Designer exists within an expanding creative ecosystem at NGX. You will plug into existing design workflows and will also have the opportunity to influence and shape our creative pipeline.
- Engage collaboratively with partners and colleagues to set a direction for visual design.
- Clearly document and communicate that vision across a range of forms. This could include vision boards, mock-ups, concept sketches, motion graphics, illustrations, VR walkthroughs…
- Manage junior UI designers and sub-contractors to deliver.
- Work with the UI Design Lead and other Creative Team members to refine the UI development process as necessary.
Pre-requisite experiences and skills
- 5+ years as a UI designer.
- Professional experience as a UX designer.
- A diverse portfolio that demonstrates your visual range.
- Demonstrated experience managing, coaching, and supporting a small team.
- Communication skills, in person and writing, that allow you to engage in rigorous and subtle conceptual discussion.
- Constructive approach to collaborative design and iterative concept development.
- Resilience in the face of competing project priorities and multiple concurrent workflows.
- Ability to develop interpretive visuals that convey complex ideas.
- Demonstrated engagement and experience with arts, culture, education, history, or science…does our work matter to you?
- You need to communicate crisply using contemporary tools such as Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, and After Effects. Experience working with VR is helpful. The outputs matter more than the tools you choose to use.
- Comprehensive understanding of inclusive design and accessibility for digital experiences.
- Exposure to coding and tools such as Unity and Touch Designer.
- Eligibility to work in Canada.
How to Apply:
- Please include your resume
- Please include a cover letter explaining why you want to work for NGX – and why you are a good match for the role. Candidates without a cover letter will not be short listed
- Please apply via the form below or email to email@example.com.
- Please include “Senior UI Designer” in the subject line
Thank you for your expression of interest. While every application is appreciated, please understand we aren’t able to respond to everyone. No phone calls, please.